That said, I’ll start with positives: The reserved car was there at the appointed time and it started. This is light years ahead of where I was last week.
Now, for the review of the actual car: a Mazda 3. 2.0L engine, 4 cylinders.
As someone who just got rid of a Mazda, one might think me a harsh critic. I expected to adore this car. My Mazda worked great until the bitter end and frankly I thought the same would be the case for this little number.
Not so much.
I noted the following:
- VERY loud when driving on highway/interstate.
- Engine was also very loud during acceleration..if you can call it that. It did not have good “zip”.
- Horrible system for adjusting the tilt wheel. I seriously thought I broke the steering column while trying to maneuver the thing.
- Headrests so large they obstructed vision while checking for traffic in blind spots. Other than Kanye, no one needs a headrest that large.
- TERRIBLE headroom. Granted I am 5’10 so I am taller than the average bear. I felt like Dino Flintstone riding around in Fred’s Flintmobile with my head popping through the fabric roof. Not a good feeling.
In Summary: This is not a car I will consider purchasing or even renting again. The Prius and Civic outshined this vehicle in terms of both performance and comfort. Since all three are priced the same at Zip Car, I’ll forgo using the Mazda 3 again.