Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Jan. 6: Present.....Or What I Learned from Ferris Bueller

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis circa 2015
Life can pass you by if you are so busy making plans and doing stuff. We forget to just BE. Focus on one thing at a time, unplug from your smart phone and computer for five minutes every hour if you can, take a deep breath every time your phone rings, be conscious of walking on the earth — one step at a time, really listen to yourself and others.
As I strive to make the first 12 days of the year truly meaningful, January 6th has been ear marked as my DIGITAL DIET DAY.  

Other than the required work email and phone (which I have to answer since it is a work day), I am taking a break from all the other digital forms of communication. And this graphic at right offers some compelling reasons why you should join me!  

As I kid growing up with seven other people in the house, it was damn near impossible to get someone’s attention in an effort to have a real conversation.  Shouting was our modus operandi otherwise you weren't heard at all.  And that was back in the 70s and 80s with relatively few distractions to compete with.

I perish the thought of being a small child this day in age competing not only with humans but with machines to get some quality time.  Nothing makes me sadder than seeing parents on their phones at dinner while their kids try desperately to get their attention.  More than once I've wanted to punch the parents in the throat on on behalf of the kids.

Folks, they are only little for a short time.  And you never know when you are making a memory.  Just some food for thought.

(thanks to technology, this post was written in advance and scheduled to post on January 6th so I could truly enjoy my Digital Diet.)

Day 6 - like the previous five  - brought to you by 12 Rituals To Do In 12 Days To Guarantee 12 Months Of Love & Prosperity

No comments:

Post a Comment